Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Holly Hocking Hilltops


My Tuesday is like most people's Saturdays. My 'work week' starts on Thursday and ends Monday, which I guess makes my Monday like most people's Fridays, which is especially bizarre. Thankfully, Ben has Tuesday's off too. Tuesday is right in the middle of his two busiest days, though, so he actually has things to accomplish while simultaneously trying to keep me entertained... I will admit that yesterday, in a moment of weakness, I had a pouty moment in which I vocally envied regular people's Saturday's off with their husbands and the ability to participate in shared activity. I tried to suck it up and headed to the grocery store (which I should never do in a grumpy state. I'm not a good shopper even when I'm in a good mood. But trying to meander your way around those indecisive people and the unnecessary extra cardboard stands that make the most available products that much more available to you - I just don't have the patience for it). Regardless, I came home to find a carelessly forgotten pair of boots on the front step. I kicked them out of the way and entered the first door. Up the stairs and I had to dodge a water bottle followed by a folded scarf and a pocket knife. I could hear one of our favorite driving songs through the second wooden door, and just as I was trying to solve this creative puzzle, I opened the door to find a condensed trail of long johns, gloves, my jacket, a granola bar, my camera, a burnt CD entitled "Fall Road Trip," all leading to my grinning husband. This was going to be good.

Road trips happen to be one of our spontaneous strengths. Ben has been my go-to road trip accomplice for the last five years and accompanied me to see the sunrise on the beach at least three times during college when I just needed to get out. The road-trips were never planned, but given only two hours (at most) notice -- enough time to make the appropriate road-trip music, get some coffee, and drive the eight hours through the night until we pull up to the coast, tired, groggy, irritable and looking for the nearest gas station for another round of coffee and chocolate covered donuts. We'd watch the sunrise (if it wasn't too cloudy), and turn right around, heading back for TN. These photos are from the first adventure (freshman year), during which I only allowed myself the documentation of two disposable cameras. And yes, that blonde bombshell is now my husband.





So, needless to say, I was quite excited to see the CD - there are few things I appreciate more than an appropriate soundtrack. I had enough time to put up the groceries and grab my things (including my 35mm camera, for old times sake), before Ben lead me out the door and down the road. I grabbed a sweet tea at a Sonic on the way, and was set. We headed for Logan, Ohio, on recommendation of our friend Charity, for some hiking and leaf-looking. The drive to Hocking Hills (which Ben called Holly Hock all day), was just as good as the hike. We admired the hills and the colors to the sounds of Sufjan Stevans, Innocence Mission, Fionn Regan, Simon and Garfunkel, and of course some Jack White - even Ben's good friend Griffin Kelp. It was perfect. We're so enjoying this new stage of life in Columbus - but it was beyond refreshing to get out and remember what nature is. We rounded hilltops and drove the curvy road to Hocking Hills past little streets named things like Black Jack and past open fields where corn stalks recently stood.
The park was beautiful, and I have a feeling we hit it at just the right time. It was brisk, but beautiful weather and the leaves were falling as we walked. Ben enjoyed his pipe and took notes on a matchbook while I snapped photos all day in efforts to remember how perfect it all was. We stopped at a "pumpkin patch" on the way home - already picked pumpkins with a big jar out front to drop your money in, guarded by a lazy farm dog - and dropped by another park just down the road to encounter my first ever milkweed.
The whole day was just what we needed, and didn't even know it till it was over. I am so thankful for my husband's tender spirit and self sacrifice. So let this be your exhortation to get out and enjoy the colors before they all disappear for another year. May I also suggest a custom soundtrack - I have taken the liberty of suggesting some of my favorites below to help get you started.







and the film...



my favorite one.


a taste of my autumn tunes this year. each have been window-down, rolling hill-driving approved.
1. Grey or Blue by Jaymay
2. Strawberry Swing by Coldplay
3. Song for You by Alexi Murdoch
4. Hold you in my arms by Ray LaMontagne
5. Heavenly Day by Patty Griffin
6. Lay Lady Lay by Bob
7. J'en Connais by Carla Bruni
8. Swept Away by The Avett Brothers
9. The Underwood Typewriter by Fionn Regan
10. Never Be by Kelley McRae
11. Please Read the Letter by Robert Plant and Allison Krauss
12. Come on! Feel the Illinoise! by Sufjan Stevens
13. Vio Spilum Endalaust by Sigur Ros
14. Sweetness and Light by Bill Mallonee
15. Any and all of Nick Drake

1 comment:

  1. LILY!!! I just think you and Ben make the perfect couple. I love your spontanaity and how you both are so artsy:) I miss you and our little coffee dates very much and expect you to call anytime you are in TN even if you're on the other side of the state. I'll be in the middle over the holidays, and I need another Lily fix soon!! I wish so badly that you could come with Rose in a few weeks because we will miss you dearly!! Your writing is captivating by the way:) I would say that Ben has been rubbing off on you but we both know you've always been good at that too! Write me a letter whenever you can! I love snail mail, and I'll try to send you one soon too! Love you and miss you, Amy

    ReplyDelete